Dome Photos from The Monolithic Dome Institute's Photo Archives, Vol. I - An Engineer's Aspect

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Monday, September 21, 2009

Dome Photos from The Monolithic Dome Institute's Photo Archives, Vol. I

My father, David B. South, and his brothers Barry and Randy South invented and patented the process for building the Monolithic Dome. As an engineer, I am convinced of the superiority of these structures. But, not only is the Monolithic Dome a superior building, I think they can be quite beautiful.

Image: The Marjorie South Residence in Menan, Idaho. Source: The Monolithic Dome Institute.

In 1976, my father and his brothers built the first Monolithic Dome in Shelley, Idaho. It caused quite a sensation in our small town. A little later, he built his first Monolithic Dome house for my grandmother (his mother) Marjorie South, on the South Menan Butte in Menan, Idaho. Shortly thereafter, he built our family home, Cliffdome, on the butte.

Image: The Clark Residence. Source: Photo taken by Melinda South of The Monolithic Dome Institute.

I currently live in a Monolithic Dome and love the energy efficiency and the protection from the elements. However, beyond the obvious logical benefits of living in a dome, I love the calming curvature, the lack of wasted space, the open-airy feeling of my living room with its high ceiling, and the unique beauty of my home.

Image: Cliffdome in Menan, Idaho. Source: The Monolithic Dome Institute.

Since I have been privileged to observe the evolution of the Monolithic Dome from my father's first concepts to the present, I have also seen thousands of photos of the domes over the years.

I thought I would share some of the artistically beautiful photos from our archives of Monolithic Domes.


Photo taken by Melinda South at The Monolithic Dome Institute in Italy, Texas.



Photo of the inflated Airform for "Bruco," the manufacturing facility for Precision Air Structures in Italy, Texas, by Gary L. Clark.



Photo from The Monolithic Dome Institute's photo archives.



Sunrise over The Monolithic Dome Institute in Italy, Texas, by Melinda South.



A safe haven from the storm--a rental unit in Italy, Texas, by Melinda South.



A Monolithic tropical paradise from The Monolithic Dome Institute's photo archives.



Beautiful curves, a photo taken by David South, Jr. in Italy, Texas.



Morning at The Monolithic Dome Institute in Italy, Texas, by Melinda South.